The Kebab Alliance was delighted to host a kebab BBQ on Brighton beach at Labour Party Conference 2021 in partnership with Labour Together.
Our BBQ attracted more than 400 people and a host of figures from the Shadow Cabinet and across the Labour Party.
The event helped to raise the profile of the Kebab Alliance with politicians and stakeholders, enabling us to talk to people about our industry and the uncertain future faced by many kebab restaurants with some of the relief measures introduced during the pandemic about to be withdrawn.
The UK kebab industry supports more than 200,000 jobs and contributes over £2.8bn to the UK economy annually, but has been hit hard by Covid-19 – UK Hospitality, the trade association for the hospitality industry, estimates that hospitality businesses lost more than £100bn of sales between March 2020 – July 2021.
Attending the BBQ and trying their hand behind the grill were:
- Steve Reed MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government
- Jim McMahon MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Transport
- Lucy Powell MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Housing
- Florence Eshalomi MP, Vauxhall
- Charlotte Nichols MP, Warrington North
- Barry Gardiner MP, Brent North